The Operations/Execution (OPEX) position is a diverse job that requires team members to use problem solving skills, quick decision-making capability, excellent interpersonal skills, and a first-rate attitude for sales, as well as an ability to build and manage a network of carriers.
The core tasks of this position concentrate on handling the transportation needs of customers by coordinating with a network of carrier partners, shippers and receivers. OPEX will need to possess sales insight, communication skills, and a competitive mindset to meet and exceed their goals. This role is part of a team dynamic: OPEX will work within small teams dedicated to coverage of freight and other tasks as outlined by an Account Development Executive (ADE) who serves as the team lead.
Day to Day responsibilities include:
- Developing, maintaining and utilizing strong relationships with carriers
- Onboarding new carriers with complete and accurate information
- Helping drivers with spontaneous questions/needs regarding shipments
- Managing daily shipments, resolving issues and performing daily check calls to ensure pickups and deliveries are on time while maintaining accurate and detailed information within the Transportation Management System
- Negotiating shipping rates with carriers to maximize profitability on each load
- Communicating with carriers to confirm equipment requirements, facility hours, etc.
- Making outbound calls, sending emails, and using other communication formats to secure available carriers or equipment for a given shipment
- Pricing freight requests for current and prospective customers
- Building strong cross-functional relationships with all internal teams